Image by shutterstock
10 Tips To Slow Down The Aging Process And To Have A Younger Looking Skin
April 11, 2019 | Fashion & Beauty | By Lisa Smith
As we add years to our lives, age does start to show up on our physical features. Even though one may feel very young at heart, the way we look often gives away our age. But there are some secrets that can slow down the aging process. Here are Lets 50’s 10 tips to slow down aging and have a younger looking skin after 50.
1. Look After Your Face
If you want to look younger, you need to follow a routine when it comes to looking after your face – the most important body part that will tell the world how you look. Here is what you need to keep in mind:
- Tanning, due to being in the sun without sunscreen will not only cause discolouration of the skin but it will also lose its elasticity and thus look old and wrinkled. So, never step out into the sun without applying sunscreen.
- You must wash your face and follow it up with a toner and a moisturizer every day before you hit the bed at night.
- Use only a good quality moisturizer that will protect your skin and keep it healthy. The one that you use at night must be a hydrating one.
- Regularly use anti wrinkle serums as these will add a glow to your face and make it look younger. These should contain antioxidants like grape seed extract, green tea, or vitamin E
- Don’t wash your face with soap as this dries up the skin and causes wrinkles. Rather use a face cleanser
- If you have puffy eyes due to lack of sleep or too much of work, then give your self a few minutes when you can lie down with cold tea bags or cucumber slices over your eyes. You can also use under eye gels as these will make your eyes look less tired and reduce the dark circles as well
- Exfoliating the skin is important as this removes dead skin and unclogs pores. This will make you look more youthful.
- If the sun has damaged your skin a lot then you might want to explore the option of laser treatments
- You can use face medicines like RetinA, Renova, and Tazorac so as to look more youthful
2. Step Out Wearing Sunglasses
The more you squint the more the delicate skin around your eyes gets stretched and wrinkled. The more the wrinkles, the older you will look. So, next time you are going out into the sun, don’t forget your sunglasses. Invest in a few pairs of stylish sunglasses – these will not only make you look more chic but will also prevent the crows feet from forming near your eyes. And while we are at this discussion, you should protect the rest of your skin too from excessive exposure to the sun. So don’t forget to use caps, hats, and umbrellas on days when the sun is scorching outside.
3. Give Up Smoking And Alcohol
- Smoking: Smoking will not only increase your chances of developing cancer, but it will also age up the way that you look quickly. Smoking increases the speed at which collagen of the skin is broken down and it also narrows the blood vessels that carry oxygen to the skin. If you give up this vice, you can not only slow down your wrinkles but also prevent your fingernails from turning brittle and yellow.
- Alcohol: You don’t have to give up that one glass of wine that you might enjoy with your partner over dinner. But if you are addicted to drinking then it is time to stop this. Too much alcohol will dehydrate your skin and also widen the blood vessels in your body. This will not only make your skin appear dry, flaky and wrinkled but your skin might also start to develop a reddish tinge and you may experience a pimple out break.
4. Watch What You Eat And Drink
- Diet: What you eat goes a long way in the way that you look. Junk food means obesity that will make you look far older than you are. On the other hand, a nutritious and well balanced diet will not only keep you healthy, but will also make you look youthful. Nuts, fruits, and vegetables should make it to your diet as they keep the skin supple and young.
- Sudden Dieting: At your age you should not indulge in any sudden dieting. Sudden spurts of weight gain and weight loss will stretch your skin and thus make it sag and cause stretch marks.
- Eating Disorder: If you have any eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia then you should visit a doctor who can help you overcome it. This is because such disorders have the ability to adversely affect the quality of your skin and hair and even your entire health.
- Water: 8 glasses of water each day is a must for you if you want to look younger. Water flushes out the toxins from the body and hence adds a glow to your face.
- Milk: Milk has hydrating properties that will naturally moisturize your skin. Milk also contains amino acids, vitamin A, and other proteins that prevents the skin discolouration and also reduces the wear and tear.
- Supplements: As we age, some supplements do our body a lot of good. Top among them are these are calcium, vitamin E and vitamin C.
5. Sleep Correctly
If you don’t sleep for at least 8 hours a day you will develop dark circles under your eyes and this will make you look far older than you are. Also, when you sleep then avoid sleeping with your face pressed against the pillow as this can cause a lot of lines on your face that will add years to your face
6. Exercise Regularly
If you lead a sedentary lifestyle then you will pile on the kilos and tend to become obese – the more extra weight that you carry, the older you will look. One sure shot way to looking younger is by exercising regularly. So choose the kind of exercise that you like – walk, gym, gardening, cycling or swimming – and start it today. Just 30 minutes of moderate work out is what you need!
7. The Teeth Need Looking After
If you have teeth that have been eaten by cavity or are sitting there in your mouth looking ugly and yellow then you can rest assured that you are looking far older than you actually are. It is time for you to visit a dentist and get the health of your teeth checked up.
8. Calm Your Nerves
You got to believe that stress, anger, and all other negative emotions can make you look much older than you actually are. So, now is the time when you should take up meditation so as to de-stress yourself. A good pampering with a full body massage will also make you unwind and feel better. Sometimes a holiday also works. When you feel calm and relaxed, your inner glow radiates on your face and you automatically look younger.
9. The Hair Needs Care
As we age ad the hair turns grey, it is time to look after our hair as well. Yes, you can colour your hair so as to look younger, but you need to look after the health of your hair. So don’t forget to oil it, shampoo it and even add a conditioner. Go for a hair spa occasionally so that the hair gets the pampering and nutrition it needs. Grey always doesn’t make you as old as neglected and unkempt hair does.
10. Have Sex
Yes, you read that right. Sex will do you a lot of good. It is a form of exercise that will keep you feeling fitter and gives you a glowing face. It will also keep you distressed and hence give you a calm feeling. All these together will help put a check on your aging process.
You cannot stop time and so you cannot stop growing and looking old. These 10 tips, will help you look youthful and charming longer.